Wednesday 7 January 2015

Review: Nick and Norah's Inifinate Playlist (2008)

I could have sworn Allie told me to watch this, so I got all excited when I'd seen it text her straight away to tell her.  Turns out, not only was Allie not the one who told me about this film but she hadn't even heard of it.  So there you go!  I watched it anyway so here is the review:


Nick (Michael Cera) meets Norah (Kat Dennings) during a particularly crazy night out trying to find the band Where's Fluffy.  Norah has to prove she has a boyfriend so asks Nick to pretend to be it, only to realise the girl she is pretending for is Nick's ex Tris (who he happens to be obsessed with).  Nick's band mates try to push Nick and Norah together while they search for Where's Fluffy and Norah's drunk best friend, Caroline (Ari Graynor).


I didn't really know what to expect with this film as I  knew nothing about it before I started watching it.  I think not having expectations can make all the difference when watching a movie.  I loved it, it was funny, heart warming and different to most rom-coms out there right out.  I always like Michael Cera, I think he has a real dry humour about him, which makes him that much funnier and Kat Dennings is always great.  They actually work really well together (which i'm not sure I expected) you actually ended up rooting for them and their over-before-it-starts romance.


They have thrown in some gross out humour, particularly the drunk Caroline toilet scene which actually nearly made me gag on my cheese on toast (kind of wish I hadn't been eating at that point).  Most of the scenes with Caroline, although comical, seem to have been thrown in at the last minute and sort ruin the flow of the movie.  They could have made it just as good without all the background noise, instead sticking with Nick and Norah's blossoming love story.

More romance than humour but everyone knows I'm a sucker for a love story, so I'm sold.


2 comments:

  1. I really liked this, too. Didn't love it, but really liked it. I thought that Graynor was hilarious here, but I also agree that her scenes didn't really fit with the flow of the rest of the film. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this movie, and I absolutely love the sountrack. I probably listen to at least one track from it every day. Yeah, Caroline's scenes were off. She wasn't in the book, so that's probably why.

    ReplyDelete